Creamy Zucchini and Mushroom Barley Risotto
1 small bag of pearl barley
1 pound of white mushrooms
1 green onion
1 tbs olive oil
1 box of ready made chicken broth
3 cloves garlic
1 tea spoon dry parsley
1 tea spoon dry basil
1 tea spoon dry oregano
1 cup of white wine
1. Wash all your vegetables, dice up the mushrooms, zucchini, and onions.
2. Begin by frying the onion and garlic until golden brown.
3. Add the zucchini and when golden, add the barley. They barley will soak up the juice from the zucchini. Add one cup of white wine to give it flavour and extra mostiure.
4. Dice up the mushrooms and add it to the mix. The mushrooms will be full of moisture which the barley will soak up while it is cooking.
5. Add chicken broth to the mix to ensure the bottom does not get dry and burn add some parsley, oregano, and basil to enhance the flavour.
6. Continue to add the chicken broth is small amounts ensuring the bottom of the pan is not dry. Continue to stir the risotto to ensure all of the barley is moist and cooks evenly.
7. After about an hour, you should have used up all the chicken broth. Taste it to ensure it is cooked. If it is not cooked add some hot water until it is cooked.
8. Plate and serve once the barley is soft. Enjoy!